Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Luggage Lost

The plan this evening was to return to Washington, DC, upload the pictures of Ironman Jeff competing at Lake Placid this weekend, and compose a fantastic story about the swim start and the body marking in the morning, about the cheering crowds and the inspiring athletes, about the impressive Guru, Felt, and Cervelo bicycles and the voice of Mike Reilly as he announced, "You are an Ironman" to runners crossing the finish line as spectators screamed on the lawn of Lake Placid High School. These details and memories would be complimented, of course, by the fantastic snapshots of Jeff - in action - on race day. And, all of this would be contingent on my camera.

So, where might my camera be? Somewhere, I suppose, in flight from Albany to Baltimore - and, no, not on MY flight - that would be too easy! Southwest - that friendly heart nestled between two wings - didn't deliver the happiness they promise when my luggage - on a direct flight - didn't arrive. Sipping on my Auntie Anne's homemade lemonade (there are those of you out there smiling knowing how much I enjoy the AA lemonade) and patiently waiting for my luggage, I thought to myself, "There is no way that my luggage won't make it from Albany."

The hilarious moment of the evening was when the lost-luggage-attendant asked for my address and I had no idea where I live in Washington, DC. I stared at him blankly for a second - then, as you might imagine, I gave him a detailed explanation about my internship at the DOE and living away from home and missing my family and my Ironman husband - and then 1838 popped into my head and I suddenly remembered my home address in DC.

So, soon enough, I promise to give the play-by-play of Ironman 2010 and to share a host of other memories that have transpired since I became overwhelmed by city living!

For those of you following the hair drama - my curly locks looked FABULOUS in the upstate NY mountain air so I am seriously considering a change of address. And, as for the aching left tooth - my visit to the DC dentist followed by the long conversation with my crazy Amherst ancient-Roman torture dentist - the pain has subsided some. I'm now sitting by my cell phone hoping that Southwest calls this evening and drops off my bag before midnight...

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of my Ironman. Will be anxious to see some of your pictures. Any luggage yet?....
    Keep us posted on everyting. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG--they better find that luggage or you can send your "iron-fisted" hubby after them. Can't wait to see the pics. I am glad I got to be there via internet--maybe another time in person,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kerry, I think these adventures just follow you around. I am sorry you have lost your luggage. I hate that feeling.

    Proud of Jeff!!

    ReplyDelete