Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hot Rollers Take Center Stage

After the hair debacle of yesterday, I had a new game plan for Day #2 at the Office of Special Education (OSEP) - hot rollers! I woke up to another scorcher of a day feeling confident that all would go well because (1) I knew where to go (as contrasted with yesterday when I went to the wrong building first and had to sprint to the second DOE building) and (2) I had confidence that my hair would look better - really, could it look any worse?

And, again, standing in my air conditioned apartment my hair had bouncy curls with superstar quality tucked behind my cheap sunglasses. Alas, I had to walk outside and slowly the curls turned to frizz. (For those of you interested, I bought a new product from CVS tonight that should combat this problem.) By the time I arrived at work, it was hopeless. The question that perplexes me on my entire walk/ride to work is, "How do these Washingtonians not sweat and/or keep their hair looking fabulous?" I ponder this question for the 1/2 hour commute each way and have no answer.

Enough about the hair - there was no Arne Duncan today either. I smile every time someone mentions his name as in, "Arne is speaking at that conference," or "I'll call Arne and listen to his thoughts about blah, blah." A first name basis with Arne?!?! What?

I happily flashed my government ID badge and buzzed myself into the DOE. (I find it rather fascinating - dare I say, cool, - that I pass the Department of Homeland Security on my way to work. The buildings are adjacent.) I conjure up stories about the workers coming & going from that office - What do they do? What do they know? Am I safe being so close to that building?

As for my daily routine at OSEP - as funny as it sounds - I can't share much. Most of the work is confidential. And, while I imagine none of you are particularly interested in the legislation/proposals for the reauthorization of IDEA, my lips are sealed (and I know nothing anyway). I did sit in on a meeting of the entire OSEP staff - most of their speak is in Special Education code - the secret, "members-only" acronym name-dropping - the FAPE, the 1% Assessments, the ISE. I admit, I zoned out for a few minutes. Much of the afternoon included me reading about adaptive physical education and surfing the CEC website. Honestly, it's not important - skim right over the alphabet soup...

The kicker of my day was the 2 mile trek in the heat to Whole Foods and the absurd conversation I had with the produce man there. Let me just be honest - I sweat in DC! I don't glow or perspire or have a glistening golden hue - huge drops of water fall from my face. But, I need peppers for my salad - organic peppers. And, yes, I'm willing to walk the 1 mile from Metro Center to the Whole Foods & the 1 mile home to Dupont Circle for some organic peppers. Do you think there were organic peppers at Whole Foods today? Exactly. Not so much.

So, me and the produce man have this ridiculous conversation that begins with me asking him about organic peppers - seeing as how I'd already walked with my two reusable-cotton bags, bumping into all the other bag ladies/gentlemen (DC charges 5 cents for every plastic bag you use) searching for my peppers. He explains to me that there are no organic peppers. My response, "What? This is WHOLE FOODS! If Whole Foods doesn't have organic peppers, who does?" I then, of course, need to tell him about my journey to Whole Foods - the crowded subway, the heat, my hair! He laughs. I leave. Not without buying regular peppers covered in pesticides that will surely be toxic to my body.

There is something incredibly frustrating about walking 1 mile, in the heat, back home with pesticide-infected peppers!

Tomorrow - it's hot rollers with the new curling spray and another day of hoping that Arne stops by.

6 comments:

  1. Sadly, reading this blog may well become the highlight of my summer - a break from special ed finance and extended school year services. Thanks for the laugh, Kerry :-) Arne has no idea what he is missing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures--I need pictures! Chandler can show you how to take a picture of yourself. Sounds like you are challenged for the summer. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just put your hair in a pony tail and let it go at that. It is too hot to worry about the small things. Enjoy DC. Thanks for the blog. Keep us posted. Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better take a hankie with you tomorrow to keep the sweat out of your eyes. You'll have hot,pesticide laced sweat running into them if you don't. Really enjoyed the baby back ribs, shrimp, and guacomole on Sunday. Wish you and Jeff had been here. (I saved you some,)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I love you, but I'm over the hair issues; DC is a swamp; the sooner you accept that the humidity will destroy your hair aspirations EVERY.SINGLE.DAY., the happier you'll be. I'm all for the Brazilian that Haltatc recommended. Even MY hairdresser has recommended it; and you know if it'll work on my hair...

    What I wouldn't give to spend a few days with you there in DC! *sigh* I suppose your blog will have to do for now. I'm so excited to hear how your days go! Go to Amsterdam Falafel; order the falafel (duh!), a side of fries, and a soda. Eat, drink, and think of me (and the fact that I can eat the entire order by myself, any day of the week).

    Although I know you'll miss your life at home, this provides a rare opportunity (and maybe the last for a very long time) to spend each and every day (outside of work) as you wish, and only as you wish. I hope the summer is everything you hope for it to be! If you build it, they will come...you'll definitely meet Arne this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hair? Who cares about the hair when you are in one of the hotest tourist spots of the US? Not only is it hot, but it has great sites! The city visit is two of my most notable vacations (been there two times). There is so much history---and free to absorb. Thanks for sharing your stay with us. I enjoy hearing about the "real life" of a govenment intern.

    ReplyDelete