Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Hottest Day of the Summer

Because, really, it always comes back to my hair. And, my hair looked horrendous today - no, wait, it was perfectly straight and parted for the few minutes I stood in my air conditioned apartment - then it became an ever-expanding, humidity-absorbing sponge of ridiculousness. And, on the first day of a new internship, you can't just start telling your supervisor or the incredibly talented and well-educated staff that it is difficult for you to focus on them or their fascinating work advocating for children with special needs because your hair is a mess - but, for any of you who have spent more than five minutes with me, you know, it's all about the hair.

Truth be told, instead of naming this blog "Always Becoming," I should have named it "Kerry's Daily Hair Updates" because, really, that's all that I'm focused on anyway.

A close second to my daily hair updates would be my proximity to Arne Duncan - who I must meet by the end of these six weeks! Today, I was in his building - saw his name & office location next to the elevator, but there was no chance meeting in the elevator. Believe me, I visualized the entire scene. But, no dice. Instead, I smiled underneath his gigantic, framed, colored photograph hanging beside President Obama & VP Biden. As a totally unrelated side note, my colleague and I decided that, hands down, Biden has the most genuine smile.

There isn't much to say - today was the hottest day of the year, I walked many miles - lost - between the two Department of Education buildings, I had forgotten how crowded a subway can be at 5pm, I headed home in the wrong direction defeated by the heat & crowd, I thought it appropriate to watch the Food Network cake-baking challenge instead of fixing a proper meal, and I started this blog this evening.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great start in a city filled with... oh well, I won't go there. You know how I feel. Just one question, are you sure that is Joe Biden smiling in the photograph, or just a picture of the Democratic mascot? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. forget the hot rollers..go for the big bucks and get the Brazilian. My hair which is like Shirley temple on steroids, has been great.. a little flat iron and ready to go.. best thing I ever did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay cool if you can. Thanks for your blog. Send us a picture.

    ReplyDelete