Saturday, August 14, 2010

Last Night in DC

Well, folks, it's adios to our nation's capital and, quite honestly, I'm ready for a little Western Massachusetts breeze. They'll be lots to talk about with lots of people - especially as I'm slowly leaning toward embracing charter schools. But, all that politics for another time...

During our last day in DC, Jeff and I were fortunate to visit with friends and tour Arlington National Cemetery. A few snapshots from the day and more to come - live from Northampton.


The last day - the long ride down the escalator to the Dupont Circle Metro.


A snapshot for Mom - the Historic Society is trying to renovate & preserve Arlington House - aka Robert E. Lee's old home. While it went against my better judgement to help the Confederacy, I knew that Mom - a Civil War historian - would appreciate my small & simple act that ensures others continue to learn about the War Between the States.


Oh, that Shiner Bock from Texas! Our friends, Sarah & Will, went to great lengths to find a Southern restaurant that served Shiner to celebrate our farewell tonight. With sweet potato hush puppies, friend pickles, pulled pork & fried shrimp, dinner was delicious. The night ended - early so that we could pack for the trip - but not before Will & Jeff sweet-talked the man at Whole Foods into selling us two cases of the Southern treat for a 10% discount.

Where will poor Mr. Belvedere, our cocker spaniel, sit?

2 comments:

  1. DEAR KER - I am SO happy to see you helping to preserve the past. It made me smile to see that you were thinking of me - and I am sure Robert E. Lee appreciated it too - love ya, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I have been so long commenting on your last night in DC. Glad it is over for you and you and Jeff are back together. Looks like you had a great last night. No comment on the Shriner.

    ReplyDelete